How blepharitis can affect your health?
Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelids. Blepharitis usually affects both eyes along the edges of eyelids.
Blepharitis usually occurs when small sebaceous glands near the base of the eyelashes become clogged, causing inflammation and redness. Some diseases and symptoms can cause blepharitis.
In this case, the eyelids are red, itchy, and slightly swollen. The base of the eyelashes may appear scaly. You may also notice:
- Feel something in your eyes
- burning sensation in eyes
- blurred vision
- dry eye
- red eyes
- watery eye
- Unfriendly eyelashes when you wake up in the morning
There is no cure for blepharitis. However, you can manage and treat it by taking care of your eyelids. Warm compresses help soften the skin and loosen oily residues. Do the following:
- Wet a clean cloth with warm water (not hot).
- Squeeze the closed eyelids for 5 minutes.
- If necessary, re-wet it to keep it warm.
Keeping your eyelids clean can also relieve symptoms:
- Make a solution with half baby shampoo and half water. Cover your index finger with a clean cloth and dip it in the mixture.
- Close one eye. Gently rub a cloth around the edges of the lashes and lid for about 30 seconds to loosen the clogged oil. Gently apply pressure along the lashes to squeeze the clogged oil from the glands behind the lashes.
- Rinse thoroughly with a clean, warm, wet cloth. Dry. Then do the other eye.
Depending on the cause of blepharitis, your doctor may recommend:
- artificial tears
- Antibiotics for your eyes as ointments drops, or spray, or as a pill, you swallow
- antiviral drug
- A plug that closes the tear duct to keep more tears in the eye
- Other medications such as glucocorticoids and cyclosporine
Researchers are still investigating other treatments, including pulsed light or fever.
The novel coronavirus has correlated with surprising side effects, like increased instances of body acne (from all that sitting) and social media showed many people decided to dye their hair pink . Read more about blepharitis on allure.
Download Haspatal online consultation app and get the best treatment online via video consultation with online doctors and get other services too.