How bone spurs can affect your body?
Bone spurs, or osteophytes, are smooth bone growth, usually near joints. They develop over time in patients with arthritis or joint injuries. The feet, hands, knees, and spine often develop osteophytes. A healthy lifestyle can delay symptoms such as pain, stiffness, and restricted movement.
The most common cause of osteophytes is joint damage due to osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease. The cushion between the joints and the bones of the spine can wear out with age. Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and gout can also damage joints.
You may not notice bone spurs until you look for another condition on the X-ray. They only cause problems when pushing on nerves, tendons, or other structures in your body. Then you may feel one of the following:
- Affected joint pain
- Pain and stiffness when trying to bend or move the affected joints
- Weakness, numbness, or tingling in the arms and legs when osteophytes press on nerves in the spine
- Muscle cramps, cramps, or weakness
- It rises under the skin, is located mainly on the hands and fingers.
Some home remedies and lifestyle changes can help relieve osteophyte symptoms:
- Ice to control swelling.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as NSAIDs such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
- The remainder.
- Supportive shoes or shoe insoles.
- Weight loss to reduce stress on joints and bones.
If these methods are not sufficient, your healthcare provider may prescribe:
Physical Therapy: Exercise and stretching can reduce pain, improve range of motion, and strengthen the muscles around the joint.
Prescription pain relievers: If over-the-counter pain relievers don’t work, your healthcare provider may prescribe a more robust option or a cortisone shot.
Surgery: If symptoms persist after one year of treatment, surgery can remove the osteophytes.
Bone spurs are small projections of bone that develop along the edge where two or more bones meet, or where a tendon or ligament attach to a bone. Read more about it on orlandohealth.com
Download Haspatal online consultation app and get the best consultation online via video consultation with online doctors and get other services too.