How bulimia nervosa can affect your health?
“Bulimia nervosa” refers to an eating disorder characterized by an episode of bulimia followed by compensatory behaviors such as vomiting, fasting, and excessive exercise.
The symptoms of bulimia can vary from person to person. You may notice changes in both your body and your behavior. Physical symptoms of bulimia include:
- Dental problems
- Throat ache
- Swollen neck and facial glands
- Heartburn, indigestion, bloating
- Irregular menstruation
- Weakness, weakness, bloodshot eyes
- It prevents vomiting of joints and octopuses on the back of the hand.
- Dizziness and fainting
- Always cold
- Sleeping disorder
- Dry skin, dry and brittle nails
Behavioral symptoms of bulimia include:
- Empty after eating uncontrollably
- Stowing and stealing food
- Eating rituals such as eating only certain foods, chewing more than necessary, and avoiding food contact
- Medication: The antidepressant fluoxetine (Prozac) has been approved by the FDA to treat bulimia nervosa. Doctors sometimes recommend other types of antidepressants and medications.
- This doesn’t happen often. However, in severe cases of bulimia, you may be treated in hospital for a short time. Most eating disorder programs offer outpatient treatment.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). In this type of therapy, you will learn about everyday eating habits and become aware of what can lead to binge eating. You challenge it when irrational thoughts or unhealthy behaviors arise.
- Family-based therapy (FBT). Often used by bulimia nervosa children and teenagers, it helps families cope with the illness and the problems it can cause.
- Interpersonal therapy (IPT). This focuses on relationships with other people in your life. The way you interact with others can affect your emotional state and mental health.
A person with bulimia nervosaTrusted Source eats large amounts in short periods, then tries to compensate by overexercising, fasting, or purging, for example. Purging might involve vomiting or using laxatives or diuretics. Read more about it on medicalnewstoday.com
Download Haspatal online consultation app and get the best consultation online via video consultation with online doctors and get other services too.