How bunions can affect your health?
Bunions are bony protrusions that occur at the joint at the base of the big toe. This happens when some bones in the front of the foot are misaligned. This pulls the tip of the big toe towards the little toes and protrudes the joint at the base of the big toe. The skin over the Bunions may be red and painful.
Bunions or Hallux valgus resembles a turnip – red and swollen. According to some sources, the word hallux valgus means turnip in Greek. Other symptoms are:
- Feel pain or burning when I cannot or try to bend my thumb.
- It’s hard to wear regular shoes.
- Corns or calluses (thickening of the skin).
- Hammertoe (painful, strained finger tendons and joints).
- Numbness in the big toe.
Bunions do not disappear. Treatment usually focuses on relieving symptoms, including:
- Bunions or Hallux valgus pad and taping: Commercially available hallux valgus pads can cushion the area and relieve pain. You can also use medical tape to keep your feet in the correct position.
- Shoe change: Switching to wide and deep-toed shoes can reduce toe pressure. You can use the stretch tool to spread out the boots you already have.
- Orthotics: Commercial or custom-made shoe insoles (orthoses) help control alignment issues such as pronation that can contribute to hallux valgus formation. You can also leave a space between your thumb and middle finger. Some people find peace of mind by wearing a splint at night to keep the big toe straight.
- Analgesics: Both oral and topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be combined with ice packs to relieve pain and swelling.
- Physical Therapy: Massage, physiotherapy, and ultrasound help remove soft tissue adhesions and reduce pain and inflammation. There are exercises around the hallux valgus that help build strength and moderately improve alignment.
Hallux valgus or bunions occur when the big toe slants towards the second toe causing inflammation and pain. The development of this condition occurs slowly and sometimes without any painful symptoms. Read more about it on Medical News Bulletin.
Download Haspatal online doctor consultation app and get the best treatment online via video consultation with online doctors and get other services too.