What are the health benefits of Tamarind?
Tamarind, scientifically known as Tamarindus indica, is a hardwood tree.It is native to Africa, although it can also be found in India, Pakistan, and other tropical countries.Bean-like pods with seeds are produced by the tree, which are wrapped by a fibrous pulp.The immature fruit’s pulp is green and sour. The delicious pulp turns paste-like and sweeter-sour as it ripens.
Following are the health benefits of Tamarind:
- It includes polyphenols, such as flavonoids, some of which can aid with cholesterol regulation.
- Tamarind also has a high magnesium content. Magnesium has a wide range of health advantages and is involved in over 600 bodily functions. It also possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties, which can help decrease blood pressure.
- Tamarind fruit extract has been demonstrated to protect the liver by containing antioxidants called procyanidins, which protect the liver from free radical damage.
- Tamarind seed extract’s anti-inflammatory properties have been proven to have potential protective advantages and enhance blood sugar management in diabetics.
- Since ancient times, the pulp of the tamarind fruit has been utilised as a natural skin cleanser. Because alpha-hydroxyl acids are included, it promotes smoother and lighter skin (AHAs).
- Tamarind has been used as a laxative for centuries due to its high levels of malic and tartaric acids. Tamarind also includes potassium bitartrate, which helps constipation when combined with other active substances.