What are the health benefits of Tomato?
Tomatoes are high in the antioxidant lycopene. It gives them their bright red color while also helping to protect them from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. It can also help protect your cells from injury in the same way. Potassium, vitamins B and E, and other nutrients are also found in tomatoes.
Following are the health benefits of Tomato:
- Tomatoes are high in vitamin C, which is good for your skin. Tomato-based foods that are high in lycopene and other plant compounds may help protect you from getting sunburned.
- Prostate, lung, and stomach cancers are less common in people who eat tomatoes and tomato products.
- Tomatoes contain folate as well. This helps to keep homocysteine levels in check. Homocysteine is an amino acid produced when proteins are broken down. It’s been linked to a higher risk of heart attacks and strokes. The use of folate to lower homocysteine levels lowers one of the risk factors for heart disease.
- Consuming meals heavy in water and fibre, such as tomatoes, may aid hydration and promote regular bowel movements. Tomatoes have a reputation for being a laxative fruit.
- Lutein and beta-carotene are found in tomatoes. These vitamins and minerals help to maintain vision and protect against eye diseases like cataracts and macular degeneration.